Tuesday, April 14, 2009

What is Style? Part 2

At the beginning of the semester I was asked to define what I believed style to be. At first I labeled as one of two things: One, it could be a manner of expression for a person or group or people; or two, it could be considered a mechanic of writing that defines a work. Both of these theories essentially carry the same idea, therefore it was time for a new "definition". However, I believe that the term "Style" cannot be given a set definition now. After everything we have discussed in this class, the word "Style" has essentially become a shape-shifter and taken many forms. While at heart it is basically a manner of expression, the major factor that gives "Style" various meanings would its ability to have varying components.

To one person, "Style" could be how they write on a piece of paper, whereas another person may believe that their typing style is unique to them. Even the way the words and phrases are structured on paper (or processor), defines each person individually. In essence, "Style" is simply an individual and unique form of expression that defines each person, thus creating variation in the way our world communicates and develops.

No comments:

Post a Comment