Choosing someone's blog to follow was actually challenging due to the fact I had to browse over multiple blogs. However I came across Jessica's blog and felt like there were areas of interest that clashed between us. For instance where Jessica mentions she tends to agree with using the active voice in writing, I tend to utilize the passive voice. I feel like this variant however does depend on the writer, however this is just one area where Jessica and I don't see eye to eye. It also doesn't surprise me that this rule comes from Strunk and White's book.
An area however where Jessica and I do see eye to eye on would regard the issue of forming the possessive singular of nouns by adding 's'. Now I am not saying we agree with this rule, in fact we both disregard it. I think that just adding an apostrophe to the end of a word that ends in 's' is considered grammatically correct. I just don't see why one would add an additional 's' to the end of a word.
One other thing I noticed when I was reading through Jessica's blog post resided in a particular sentence. Now while I know that my writing is nowhere near perfect, I felt like this issue should be raised. Here is the sentence:
"My decision to become a Journalism minor is the main thing that has helped me implement these rules into my writing more consistently."
While the sentence sounds grammatically correct, shouldn't it read more like this:
"My decision to select Journalism as my minor was the main thing that helped me consistently implement these into my writing."
Just throwing it out there? I wonder who would agree with my revision more? S&W or Williams? Hmmmmmmmmm.....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Hey Adam,
ReplyDeleteI definitely agree with your revision. (Do you want to edit all of my blogs before I post them? My grade would probably go up :-) ) I think that it is more on the wavelength of Williams than S&W. Williams seemed more focused on actual structuring of sentences to me, while S&W dealt with grammar more literally.
Check out my blog for some additional thoughts... (I couldn't resist responding to your post in my blog.)
http://jricha15.blogspot.com
Cheers!